Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Beetle gets no respect (but that's OK with me)

Brad is officially able to drive again, having passed doctors' exams, the DMV's requirements, and his wife's own ambiguous requirements. This means it was back to me and the Beetle again. (Of course, I could well have driven the Beetle the whole time, anyway, but I wouldn't have enjoyed it, knowing there's a new Prius sitting around.)

Anyway, Henry and I piled into the car today, and I was completely surprised by how HEAVY the Beetle felt. Motor Trend says the curb weight (whatever that means) of the 2003 New Beetle is 2,961 lbs., and that the curb weight of the 2008 Prius is 2,932 lbs.--practically the same. But the Beetle drives like I imagine one of those old cars in film noir movies would, the cars that are always plunging into rivers or racing trains or that sort of thing. I think it's a good thing in a car, personally. (The heft, not the charging-into-rivers part.)


How I might imagine the Beetle: 1946 Packard from Old Car and Truck Pictures

Anyway, I navigated onto the main thoroughfare, feeling like I was driving a boat, and was promptly cut off, and then someone drove about 2 feet behind the Beetle's cute little rear for a while. Well, that's more like it. I'm back in the Beetle again. And I'm happy to be there, even if it doesn't command respect. At least I can be comfortable in the driver's seat!

4 comments:

Rebecca Chastain said...

I'm so glad Brad is back to being able to drive! I'm sure your Beetle missed you tremendously!

ManOfSteal said...

I'm glad to be able to drive again as well! It's nice that you'll now be able to drive around in a vehicle that doesn't injure you solely by the fact that you are in it. I would also have to agree with you that the Beetle feels much heavier, and it also seems like you're sitting on the ground!

Cody said...

Awwww.. The little beetle is back on the road. I found some custom parts to make your bug more monster like.. Check them out http://www.sentinelspaintball.com/images/Tank_photos/TankInGarage.jpg

TikiBird said...

Ha! Thanks, Cody. That will definitely get the Beetle some respect!